In the south-western part of the Chelyabinsk region, at the border of Bashkiria, along both banks of the Ural River - at the same time in Asia and Europe - there is Magnitogorsk. It is the second largest city in the region. Its area is 392.66 square meters. As of 01.01.2012, the population is 409,300 people.
Its history Magnitogorsk leads from the fortress of Magnetic, which appeared on the map of Orenburg province in 1743. For thousands of years, the wealth of Magnitnaya Mountain has been preserved, but the first serious step towards the development of this treasure was made during the times of industrialization. The first train with the builders came from Kartaly to the station "Magnitogorskaya" on June 30, 1929. This date was the birthday of the legendary Magnitka.
One of the main reasons for the appearance of the city of metallurgists on the map of the country is the richest deposit of iron ore in Magnetic Mountain. In a small area, nature has concentrated hundreds of millions of tons of the richest ore (iron content was up to 70%), it was not very deep in the ground, and sometimes it was just near the surface. Interest in the subsurface resources of the Urals was so great that many foreign countries were ready to buy the ore of Magnetic Mountain: for example, only October Revolution prevented a deal with Japan.
A powerful deposit of iron ore, the high-water Ural and Belaya rivers, the opportunity to build roads leading to the coals of Kuzbass - all these factors were the reason for the birth of the city in the south of the Urals. The power of the young state should grow at the expense of several metallurgical plants under construction: Zaporozhye, Kuzbass and Magnitka. Moreover, special, strategic importance was attached to the Ural-Kuzbass direction - ore and coking coal were nearby. The quality of the ore and the ease of operation of the Magnetic Mountain had no analogues in Europe. It was planned to build four blast furnaces at Mount Magnitnaya, build a series of open-hearth furnaces and rolling mills for the production of cast iron. The first blast furnace was built in July 1930. The construction of Magnitogorsk Iron & Steel Works was in record time. Already in the beginning of 1932 the first blast furnace at the enterprise was launched.
Very soon next to the industrial object houses appeared. So the future city-Magnitogorsk was born. Magnitogorsk is the architectural heritage of the world's first socialist city. The construction of Social city is an original attempt to influence the consciousness of a person with the help of architecture, which has no analogues in the world in terms of completeness and scale of implementation. Currently, documents are being prepared for assigning the status of a UNESCO World Heritage Site to the 1st intra-yard of Magnitogorsk.
Our city played a significant in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945: the armor of every second tank, every third shell was made of Magnitogorsk steel, raw materials for which were taken from Mount Magnitnaya.